PhD Application Instructions
Special instructions for application to the PhD Fellowship Program
To be considered for the PhD Fellowship Program, please complete the PhD Fellowship Application Form which is part of the CIS PhD Application Packet, Including the Checklist, Information Form, and Fellowship Application. Apply to the fall-semester admission and submit your complete application no later than Jan 1. However, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications early. Fellowship applications received after Jan. 1 will only be considered on a funding availability basis. Applicants who do not apply to, or cannot be selected by the Fellowship Program will still be considered for the regular financial support through Graduate Teaching Assistantship and Graduate Research Assistantship.
PhD Application Check List
Please send all electronic documents in a SINGLE EMAIL with PDF attachments. Please DO NOT use compressed file format such as ZIP or RAR since these may be filtered by the email system and delay the processing of your application.
Complete the CIS PhD Application Packet, Including the Checklist, Information Form, and Fellowship Application in PDF format. You can complete the PDF form on your computer and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method). Click here for information on saving fillable PDF files. Alternatively, you can print, complete, and mail it to the CIS Department at the address below.
Complete the Kansas State University Graduate School Application.
Submit the Application Fee: ($50 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents; $75 for international applicants). Include the Confirmation of Online Payment after you have paid online at the KSU Graduate School web site. If online payment is not possible, you may pay by money order or bank draft made payable to KSU Graduate School. In this case, include the payment with the rest of the materials you send to the CIS Department. Please note that your application cannot be processed until the application fee has been paid.
Read the Kansas State University Graduate School application requirements (for international applicants | for U.S. citizens and permanent residents). After reading the above, submit the following materials to the CIS Department at the address listed below:
- Transcript(s) of Bachelor's and Master's (if have one) degrees. Transcript must show the date and (earned or anticipated) degree. Please email a scanned copy and have the official transcript mailed to the Department.
- Scanned copy of Graduate Record Exam (GRE); scores. You should also request the Educational Testing Service to send your scores to Kansas State University. The Graduate School does not accept photocopies as official for admission purposes.
- For international applicants: scanned copy of Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); score or The International English Language Testing System - academic exam (IELTS). The official score must be sent to Kansas State University.
- For international applicants: signed copy of Affidavit of Financial Support (you will not jeopardize your chance for receiving financial aid by submitting this form.) Please email a scanned copy and mail the original to the department.
- Description of work experience (typed, maximum of one page) and statement of academic goals (typed, maximum of one page).
- Three reference letters. (preferably emailed directly from the recommenders to email@example.com.)
Please email all required materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard-copy materials shall be mailed to Graduate Admissions, Department of Computing and Information Sciences, 234 Nichols Hall, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA. All materials must be received by the Department before the corresponding deadlines below. Questions can be emailed to email@example.com or telephoned to +1-785-532-6350.
- Jan. 1: Applicants who want to be considered for the PhD Fellowship Program, although early applications are highly encouraged (only for fall applications).
- Jan. 1: Applicants for fall semester.
- Aug. 1: Applicants for spring semester.
- Dec. 1: Applicants for summer semester.
PhD Fellowship applications received after Dec. 1 will only be considered on a funding-availability basis. U.S. applicants not requesting financial aid may apply one month later than the dates stated above.
A limited number of travel grants are available to support a trip to K-State for domestic applicants to our PhD program. The purpose of the trip is to provide future students with the opportunity to know more about our research programs and meet with our faculty and students. The student should have applied to our PhD program to be eligible for this grant. Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
There are a number of options for saving a fillable PDF form.
Further information on graduate application procedures can be obtained from the Graduate School. Questions should be addressed to the Computing and Information Sciences Department by email to: email@example.com.