Kansas State University was founded February 16, 1863, as a land-grant university under the Morrill Act. The campus is situated on a site of 664 acres in north central Manhattan, Kansas. Since its founding, the University has grown to a size of over 20,000 students. K-State has 10 colleges offering bachelor's degrees in more than 100 fields, 64 master's degree programs and 43 doctoral degree programs. The University is accredited by the North Central States Association. The University's buildings are constructed of native limestone, and the campus architecture is arranged to present a pleasant, harmonious design. Here is a brief tour of some of the campus landmarks. One of the University's oldest buildings, Anderson Hall sits at campus center. Anderson Hall houses the Admissions Office as well as the offices of the President, Provost, and administrative officials. Hale Library, acts as the University's information archive. The Library was expanded, renovated and rededicated in October 5, 1997. McCain Auditorium is the host to many of the University's cultural activities, including the University Orchestra and drama groups, touring music and theatre groups, and community activities. The auditorium seats approximately 1800. The "Host to the Campus" is the K-State Student Union, which contains recreational facilities, shops, restaurants, and theatres. The Union offers a wide range of activities to students during school term. On a typical day, approximately 16,000 people enter the Union's doors. The Union has recently undergone significant renovation. One of the most striking buildings on campus, Nichols Hall was built in 1910, destroyed by an arsonist in 1968, and restored in 1983. It presently houses the Department of Computing and Information Sciences and the Department of Speech Communications, Theatre and Dance. Durland Hall is home to the College of Engineering.